Saturday, August 27, 2005

South Africa, 23 August 2005

“May the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole Spirit, soul and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He Who calls you is faithful, Who will also do it.” I Thes. 5:23

Our God truly is the Faithful One of the generations. And I am blessed to be among those He has called out of the world to partake of a heavenly kingdom that knows no boundaries on earth. I find comfort in that Hand that spread the waters of the sea and brought the land forth, that He has encompassed me before and behind in all my ways. But I find each day I must surrender myself completely to His able hands, as I rely completely on His strength to carry me through moment to moment in my new work.

I am in Bronkhorstfontein, South Africa and have just over thirty abandoned newborns and infants to care for. I am at the “Nursery” at 0600 on a normal day and work until 1900 in the evening, with at least an hour break somewhere along the way. The longest day I’ve had so far was 15 hours with an hour lunch break, so there is definitely always work to be done here. For one week a month I go on night shift, so I work from 1800 to 0600 and sleep during the day. Though these sound like very long days, they pass surprisingly quickly and without extreme wear. My only explanation for that is grace.

What exactly do I fill these hours with? Nappies is the first word that comes to mind. In a single day I personally make around thirty bottles (give or take 20), and get the milk back from both directions about double that. But more importantly than the essentials of their daily lives, I am blessed to have two arms to share the love of Christ with the little ones He has beckoned us to be like. Because in Christ we have received all that they have been denied. They have been abandoned, I have been Adopted. They have been unloved, I know eternal Love. They have been beaten, I have been Embraced. And in Christ, I offer them all that I have received. It is the One from Whom I have received everything that I offer them a Life which cannot fade away. For now that looks like bottles and nappies, but tomorrow it could be the leaders of a Christian Africa.

Updates on former Prayer Requests:
- A Church. There is a Pentecostal and a Roman Catholic Church in nearby villages, and after visiting the former, I will be attending the latter. It is, however, a great struggle for me to be without a community and sacramental life. But I trust that God will provide ample sustenance for the time I am here.
- A companion. Loneliness is definitely still a hardship for me, so continue to pray for a kindred spirit and a counselor. We do have some internationals coming in a week, so I am praying that one of them will come alongside me to laugh, cry, pray, counsel, spar, and discuss things with me.

New Prayer Requests:
- Discernment for my parents and I to know a wise length of time for me to be here.
- Continued joy and dedication to the work before me right now.

Thank you to the many of you who continue to email and check up on me. All news from home is wonderful to my ears. Please continue to send me specific prayer requests and updates from your homes and communities. In the Father’s Hand, Nicole de Martimprey

“Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

3 comments:

return home gnome said...

It's always great to read your updates Nicole. Keep up the good fight! We're praying for you.

Rabbi Saul said...

Blessings and grace to you, Nicole. Be assured that your sacrifice and love will bear rich fruit.

Anonymous said...

Dear Nicole, God bless you! Dwite and Judith Brown told me of your work and Dwite sent me the link to your site. Your family so graciuosly provided housing for some of my friends and myself whe we came to Clear Creek for Fr. Avram's ordination. May God bless all of your efforts to serve Him through your work, and may He draw you ever more deeply into His Heart. I will keep you and all of your loved ones in prayer, and ask that you would do the same for my family and me.

Pax Christi,

Jan England