Friday, December 01, 2006

Seraphim in the Sunset

There were Seraphim in the Sunset yesternight. The God of the heavens had painted in a glorious array of orange majesty the expanse above me. I was on my way to a friend's house, or at least was supposed to be, when I could go no further. When I stopped, time stopped with me as I observed the handiwork of the Creator. The clouds had an absolutely amazing floating nature to them, slightly wispy and yet the thick and strong they took their time with the wind as it urged them along. They flew with leisure, so that I could not see if they were commanding the winds or if the winds were commanding them. Both seemed in perfect unity, or maybe the wind seemed a bit impatient at times. And then that orange. No manish sub-creator could ever capture the palette before me. Many would snap their shutter and many would take up brush - but none would succeed to mix the proper hues. Indeed, this masterpiece before me was born from an infinite mind.

I am convinced that these colors could capture blinded eyes with sight - like mine or maybe yours or maybe the person that pulled off the road behind me. In some way in that frozen moment I felt the part of Isaiah at the Throne. In front of me a vision of the heavens that lie beneath the Eternal's throne and I could feel the wind from the Seraphim's wings as they flew in those clouds. My knees buckled as I felt my cheeks wettening. The Eternal, Almighty, Artist-God that thought this sky into being has chosen, called, saved, and loved a vile speck of dust. With the mighty Wind He breathed on this dust and made me His.

Thankfulness rushed through me as time began again as the drivers rushing past gave a curious glance. I was late to my friend's but on the road to Hamilton I had seen the Eternal.

5 comments:

Serena said...

It seems unfortunate that the full glory of light - the sunrise, the rainbow, fire, the sun on a frosty day - cannot be captured or reproduced artificially by mankind. On the other hand, perhaps that it appropriate. The Glory of God is compared tolight in the Bible and that can't be reproduced either, or even understood. Perhaps God intended the earthly mirror (symbol, reflection, earthly shadow.... I can't find the word I want) of His incomprehensibly greater glory to reflect this aspect of Himself.

Okay I don't know what I wanted to say... that didn't make much sense. Forgive me. The spelling was aweful. Forgive me. However I don't think I can explain my thoughts any better, so here goes the comment.

Pilgrim said...

Are you Eve or Snow White? I tried to think of which one of you would be whom, but couldn't decipher.

I know exactly what you are saying. It was the thought behind the "no manish sub-creator could ever capture the palette before me". And I am not sad for this. The glory of God is too oft trampled by man - I should like the sky to stay where it is in full glory and attempt a sub-creation with my camera click. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Nicole, this post captures what I am feeling right now. I just got off a plane, flying back from the funeral of a beloved friend, where we said goodbye as God ushered him into eternity. As I flew home over the snow-capped mountains of Utah, I was privileged to witness the most amazing sunset. It literally took my breath away and caused tears to run down my face. I now know that orange is my favorite color. What a gift.

Pilgrim said...

Les, we serve a creative God.

Serena said...

HAHA!! YOU SHALL NEVER KNOW OUR IDENTITY!!